UMPA - Umit's Manipulations of Packets Art
UMPA is a packet generation and manipulation library. It aims to provide an easy-to-use system to manipulate packets on every layer of the OSI model. UMPA supports many sophisticated features, including:
- auto-generating packets - defaults are provided for most fields
- high-level editing of header fields - no knowledge of bit-level representation needed
- auto-filling - checksum/length fields are generated automatically
- interaction system - reacting and responding to network events
- sniffing and sending packets - easy communication with the real world
The goal of the project is to get a powerful, easy to use and intelligent packet manipulation tool suitable both for beginners and experienced users. UMPA has a wide range of uses, including network diagnostics, auditing, stress testing and network stack debugging.
UMPA is developed in the Python programming language. It's used primarily as a Python library, although other frontends/bindings are to be developed during Google Summer of Code 2010.
- 17/05/2010 - Thanks to Nmap, UMPA has a slot in GSoC 2010!
- 23/07/2009 - UMPA v0.2 is released
- 05/05/2009 - UMPA v0.1.1 is released
- 20/04/2009 - UMPA has got a slot for upcoming Google Summer Of Code 2009!
- 14/02/2009 - UMPA v0.1 is released
- 18/08/2008 - Google Summer Of Code 2008 is over!
- UMPA v0.2 (sniffing release) - CHANGES
- binaries - from SourceForge
- sources - svn co http://svn.umitproject.org/svnroot/umit/umpa/tags/0.2
Current development version
- svn co http://svn.umitproject.org/svnroot/umit/umpa/trunk
You can also browse the files online.
Check out the PacketManipulator, a graphical frontend for UMPA!
See the documentation site. It contains information about architecture of the library, installation, licensing and others.
There are also some tutorials available.
Since v0.2 UMPA supports sniffing. Please read about the pypcap modified version before using this feature.
Umit Project has own blog. Check it out at http://blog.umitproject.org.
Several articles about UMPA are posted there (most recent ones first):
- What's new in upcoming weeks for UMPA?
- EuroPython 2008 - the lighting talk / sprint
- Umit's Manipulations of Packets Art - introduction
Google Summer of Code
UMPA was born during Google Summer of Code 2008. Since then, much of the code has been written thanks to GSoC.
See the previous years archive for more information about current and past participants:
Feel free to contact any of the UMPA developers:
|#401||UMPA 0.3 - L2||high||L2 support for Windows||kosma||getxsick||13 months|
|#403||UMPA 0.3 - L2||medium||Fix tests under Windows and BSD||kosma||kosma||3 years|
|#407||UMPA 0.3 - L2||high||UMPA 0.3 release testing||kosma||kosma||3 years|
|#309||UMPA 0.4.0 - autogeneration+IPv6||medium||IPv6 address can't omit any groups||kosma||getxsick||3 years|
|#311||UMPA 0.4.0 - autogeneration+IPv6||medium||IPv6 tests fails if we pass tuple||kosma||getxsick||3 years|
|#314||UMPA 0.4.0 - autogeneration+IPv6||low||PaddingField use only 0 as a padding||kosma||getxsick||3 years|
|#319||UMPA 0.4.0 - autogeneration+IPv6||medium||IPv6 support||kosma||getxsick||3 years|
|#338||UMPA 0.4.0 - autogeneration+IPv6||medium||some fields are not fully supported||kosma||getxsick||3 years|
|#328||UMPA 0.5||medium||improvements for pypcap wrapper||kosma||getxsick||3 years|
|#352||UMPA 0.5||low||examples for new features||getxsick||getxsick||3 years|
|#404||UMPA 0.5||medium||UMPA needs some extra promotions||kosma||getxsick||9 months|
|#305||medium||rewrite XML extensions to use SAX instead of DOM||getxsick||getxsick||4 years|
|#326||medium||route editor extension||luis||getxsick||4 years|
|#356||medium||rate sending packets||getxsick||luis||3 years|
|#357||medium||ICMP Redirect - new model||getxsick||luis||3 years|
Add new ticket: http://trac.umitproject.org/newticket (please select the UMPA component)